What is IDP?
Integrated development planning is a process through which municipalities prepare a strategic development plan which extends over a five-year period. The Emadlangeni IDP is the principal strategic planning instrument which guides and informs all planning, budgeting, management and decision-making processes in the municipality.
Through integrated development planning, which necessitates the involvement of all relevant stakeholders and municipality :
- identifies its key development priorities
- formulates a clear vision, mission and values
- formulates appropriate strategies
- develops the appropriate organisational structure and systems to realise the vision and mission
- aligns resources with the developmental priorities
As the IDP is a legislative requirement, it has legal status and supersedes all other plans that guide development at local government level.